Thursday, February 16, 2006

valentine

i had an epiphany on tuesday. it was valentine's day, and it was the best one that i ever remember having. why? i bet you think it's because i was whisked away to some romantic destination by my super-hunky significant other, don't you? nope. i'm as single as they come. it was such a great day because so many things caught me by surprise. maybe i went into "singles awareness day" with low expectations in an attempt to thwart disappointment. or, maybe, just maybe, that day isn't so bad for us single folk. my epiphany came as a result of two handmade valentine's day cards that i received from two of my students. male students at that. pray tell, what other red-blooded american male college students do you know that make homemade valentine's day cards? i was completely caught off guard. they're so hilarious; i have to share them with you.

here's the first one:
you are so cool because you went to my school,
and you make me so glad
cause you're the best college minister i've had
and don't be sad on this v.t. day
cause i'm sure love's on the way
p.s. Jesus loves you a lot.

i almost fell off the couch laughing when i read it. isn't it precious?

here's the second:
love, love, love, love, love.
love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
love x infinity. that's how many times
i love you. have a very happy valentine's
day. jesus loves you and so do i.

i sat shaking my head in amazement after re-reading the valentines several times. the fact of the matter is this: i am loved. no, not by some romantic superhunk. but, who cares? i'm loved by my students, and i love them. that's why i do this job. not for the cashflow i'm raking in. not for the prestige and fame. (those are both jokes, by the way...i'm not making the big bucks or receiving accolades for my position). i do this job for the students, and once in a while, it's nice to know that they are as fond of me as i am of them.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I love you too HP.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger jon b. said...

I liked my valentine sticker that said "Meow". Which everyone knows is cat for "I love you" or "Feed me" or "Clean my litter box".

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Virginia said...

nothing says love like "clean up my poo"...

but seriously, we do forget we are loved outrageously and need to be reminded of such an insane circumstance. yay for your students for realizing that.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Paige Puckett said...

awwww... that's sweet. i love you heather!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home