Tuesday, January 16, 2007

positive-thinker

i've come to realize that life runs a lot smoother when you look at the positives instead of focusing on the negatives. take my life in its current state, for example. i have several things in different areas of my life that are really hard to deal with, and they seem to all be hitting at once. for a few days, i was tempted to focus on the negatives and throw myself a nice, little pity-party. but then, one of my best friends slapped some sense into me. i cried on her shoulder and told her everything that was going on and how my life was falling apart. she, in turn told me to name three things that were positive in my life right now. it took me a moment to shift gears and refocus, but i did it. i could name several positives in the midst of a sea of negatives. and, you know what? i felt a little better after that.
today, i had another opportunity to think negatively about a hard situation that presented itself. for a split second, my thought was "great...just another thing to add to the pile of crap". but then, i decided (that's the key word here. it's a decision.) to not let it wreck me and to think of the things that were going well. i'm not saying to live in lalaland and never acknowledge hard things...that would only lead to more problems down the line... all i'm saying is that i've realized that much of life is our attitude about it, and that was a pretty significant discovery for me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home