Monday, January 22, 2007

confidant

i think that because of my position, people feel that they can tell me things, things that they wouldn't normally tell other people. don't get me wrong...i'm not complaining. i actually feel quite honored when people bestow information on me and trust me with their secrets. it's just that i'm not always sure what to say...
for example, i had no idea what to say to a friend who told me that she was recently taken advantage of sexually by a friend. of course, the normal responses came out: it's not your fault, God is not mad at you, are you going to press charges, have you been to the doctor yet, are you going to see a therapist? but, i couldn't really come up with anything that would really address her deep fears and hurts. what could i really say? i had nothing.
so, i just listened and empathized, cried with her and prayed for her. and, i realized afterward that maybe, just maybe, that's all she really needed and that my presence and silence meant much more than anything i could have said.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home